Thank you for your interest in adopting a classroom in Africa. This program is designed for teachers and administrators in US who want to adopt a classroom in Africa. We offer our global pen pal program to third through tenth grade students from both public and private schools.Our literacy program will help build skills in the areas of grammar, writing, geography, topography, penmanship and English Language Conventions.
In their letters, students are encouraged to talk about school, family, friends, pets, hobbies and what life is like in their local communities. We are positioned as a service learning program designed to teach students how to increase social awareness through fundraising and advocacy. In march, the Project Knapsack team will travel to Africa and personally deliver the knapsacks to your new pen pals and friends.
Global Pen Pal & Back Pack Exchange: $2500
October 2013 – June 2014
deadline: September 1, 2013 (for 2013-2014 school year)
- Your elementary or secondary classroom will be paired with a classroom in Africa for the school year.
- Each student will send and receive a letter 4-6 times during the exchange.
- Send brand new back packs filled with school supplies to your pen pals
- Photos of your classroom pen pals and teachers (provided after the March visit to South Africa).
- Receive 25 community service hours for your school, organization or group.
Become a Project Knapsack Global Ambassador and receive a special certificate of recognition and other keepsakes
A FREE subscription to our newsletter with up to date information about current education trends, upcoming events, pen pal updates, volunteer opportunities, trivia, contests and much more
Policies and Procedures
- A non-refundable $1000 deposit is due at sign-up.
- The remaining $1500 will be due no later than Monday – Monday, September 2, 2013.
- Students and teachers will be responsible for hosting fundraisers such as bake sales, spell- a-thons, car washes, read- a-thons, matching donations and other fun and creative events and programs.
- In the event that the the teacher/classroom in unable to raise the entire $1000, the school will be responsible for making up the difference.
- Postage, shipping, handling and international customs cargo fees are included.
Please allow a month delivery time between letters, however many times the letters will arrive from Africa ahead of schedule. We will try our best to pair male pen pals with other male students and female pen pals with their counterparts.